Social networking and smartphones with HD screens have ignited an explosion in video on the mobile internet. Today more than 50% of all mobile traffic is video, or to put it another way, video traffic on mobile data networks now accounts for more than all other types of traffic combined together. This trend is not slowing down.
Additionally, user viewing habits have changed with most viewers now preferring to video snack: watching a short comedy clip, a quick glimpse of a music video or a brief news update. Viewers expect fast download, smooth playback, responsive navigation and to view any format on any device.
Given the bandwidth and processing demands of video traffic how can I reduce my TCO?
How can I ensure my subscribers’ video viewing experience is second to none?
Mobile Video Optimization
Media Optimizer reduces the bandwidth required to deliver video and substantially improves the viewing experience by providing video optimization in real time.
Key features include:
- Smooth video playback when the mobile network is congested by applying Congestion-Aware-Optimization (CAO) to adjust the bit-rate of optimized video. Congestion is managed locally and optimized only when it occurs. CAO makes huge saving in operating expenditure when compared with many video optimization / network optimization solutions.
- Media Optimizer tracks video play-back requests. By caching and transcoding the most popular videos Media Optimizer improves response times for new requests and further reduces demand on network bandwidth.
- To minimize unwatched video downloads and ensure smooth playback Media Optimizer delivers video in snack-sized portions by applying a just-in-time algorithm.
- All the latest CODECs and video formats are covered including latest specs for MP4 video optimization.
- Policy-awareness enables Media Optimizer to apply sophisticated policy control models to video traffic, enabling service providers to define subscriber based, time-of-day-based, or volume-based policies that influence the traffic optimization decisions.
- Comprehensive Mobile Analytics reporting identifies the traffic optimization saving achieved through Media Optimizer and profiling of the traffic by content type, website and subscriber usage.
Other Openwave Mobility Products
Media Optimizer forms part of Openwave Mobility’s Congestion Control solution, which also includes Web Optimizer for optimization of web-based content.
Additionally, Openwave Mobility offers a unique mobile data charging solution, Promotion and Pricing Innovation which together with video optimization provide a complete and unrivalled solution for mobile operators wishing to manage and monetize the explosion in mobile video.